A standard residential lease agreement does not have a provision to keep a pet on the premises unless the landlord or the owner of the residential property permits the same. Preparing a Pet Agreement Addendum to Rental Agreement is then necessary to define the terms and conditions of keeping a pet on the premises. Both the landlord and the tenant must agree mutually to these terms and conditions and acknowledge the same by signing this addendum. However, important considerations while preparing this addendum are
- The tenant must keep only one pet described in this addendum. A tenant cannot keep more than one pet using this addendum. Please prepare a separate addendum for each pet on the property.
- The tenant must submit a photograph of the pet to comply with article 13 of the addendum.
- Please read all 14 articles of the addendum carefully before signing and executing it.
- The tenant is liable to pay an additional pet deposit to keep a pet on the premises.
- Pet deposit is refundable only when the pet is absent on the premises and the tenant produces satisfactory evidence of the same.
Please remember to include pet name, description, date of executing the original lease agreement, amount of pet deposit, names of the tenant and landlord, and non-refundable pet fee or damage deposit if any. In addition, the landlord’s permission is mandatory to keep a pet on the premises. A tenant is subject to revoke the lease in case of default of this tenancy term.
Steps To Prepare A Pet Agreement Addendum to Rental Agreement
This addendum becomes a part of the original lease agreement once the landlord permits to keep a pet on the premises. Please provide following information in the requested fields to prepare this pet addendum accurately.
- Date of executing the pet addendum
- Date of executing the original rental contract between the landlord and the tenant
- Name of the landlord or owner of the residential property
- Name of the tenant
- Name and complete description of the pet
- Amount of additional pet deposit payable to the landlord
- Duration for returning the pet deposit to tenant in days
- Signature of the owner / landlord
- Signature of the tenant