Provisions in California Civil Code permit a landlord to lease a previously rented property to a new tenant by using California Additional Tenant Addendum to Rental Agreement. A new resident joins the previous residents on the premises under the terms and conditions specified in this instrument. Please refer to California Civil Codes: 1950.5, 1659 for new tenant’s security deposit and provisions on rent responsibility. The landlord must approve each new application or such unapproved tenancy will be a direct violation of the original lease agreement. The new tenant must read the original lease agreement between the landlord and the original tenant to understand the terms, conditions, and provisions of the tenancy.
- Landlord’s approval is mandatory for each additional resident.
- None of the new tenant is liable for security deposit refund from the landlord unless the entire property is vacant and the landlord receives due possession of the property
- All residents are equally responsible for rent payment
- All residents are equally responsible for payment towards misuse or damage to the premises
- The new resident must review the original rental agreement prior to signing this addendum
In addition, the landlord has rights to verify the creditworthiness along with the rental and employment history of the new applicant. The existing tenant must understand that the landlord is subject to demand an increase in rent as well as the security deposit upon the admission of new residents as more occupants leads to more wear and tear on the property.
Steps to Fill California Additional Tenant Addendum to Rental Agreement
The new resident must fill this application form in its entirety. Notarization of signatures on this contract agreement is not necessary. Inputs requested in the agreement addendum are
- Legal name of the additional tenant
- Date of execution of the lease agreement between the landlord and original tenant
- Legal name of the original tenant
- Legal name of the landlord
- Detailed address of the property including apartment number, name of the city, and zip code
- Date and signatures by all residents
- Date and signature of landlord or landlord’s approved agent